Sunday, September 2, 2018

How finishing up UFO’s leads buying a new Brother sewing machine

When I recently retired, I joined the American Sewing Guild (ASG) and the Emerald Valley Quilters (EVQ). At one of the meetings, a member did a nice presentation on color and showed us some quilt blocks she had made from a magazine.  She shared that the magazine was from the year 1995.  Now stop. Stop right there.  No judging on the time line of someone’s UFO’s🤣

That she was willing to share that bit of information was so very freeing and it made me happy. Really happy.  I went home and pulled out a box of UFO’s that I had started before I became a nurse and started working full time.  Yes, some of those projects were from the 1990’s!

I found a stack of nine patch blocks.   Time to make a quilt and finish that UFO! I completed it as a lap quilt.  All I could see was the wavy border and how the quilting was uneven, but the recipient was quite happy with it. 

Looking online at Craftsy classes and YouTube it appeared that I needed to purchase a quilting foot or a free motion foot for my machine. My Pfaff Hobby is probably 30 years old and they don’t have quilting feet to fit it. After completing a baby quilt, with the same results, I broke down and went shopping.  I now have a Brother NQ 900.  

The sample I did had beautiful quilt stitches! Then I basted another lap quilt and started to attempt  to quilt it, and it wasn’t looking so good.  Back to the Internet to find out a better way to baste.


No comments:

Post a Comment